Search Mel's Oven

July 26, 2012

Sister's Birthday



OK so for my sisters birthday she wanted to go mini putting and the cool thing about the place we went was that it was indoors and it was glow in the dark. They used black lights and cool neon art to decorate the inside. You go into different parts of the building and every room has a different theme like some are underwater, some are in the jungle and some have a medieval theme.


So when I was asked to to her cake (no surprise there!) I had the best idea for a cake. It was going to make it  look just like it does inside the mini putt. I covered the cake in black fondant then put neon coloured circle inlays all over it. I finished it off with a ball border in the same colour. I'm really happy as to how it turned out but more importantly my sister was and so were her friends. Happy Birthday Sis!


Inside the beautiful exterior (if I do say so myself) was a white cake with a fudge filling and butter cream frosting. The filling was actually from a can; it was left over from the cake pops I had made... don't judge me! And the cake recipe I found on Allrecipes.com that's how rushed I was. But am I ever glad I've been busy because the cake was wonderful. White cake has a reputation for being dry but I found this cake to be very nice. It wasn't to dense, or dry and it had a good vanilla flavor to it. It was so good I want to share this recipe, it might be my go to white cake recipe!

 

 

White Cake

Yield enough batter for 2-3 9inch pans

 Ingredients

  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup milk
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F grease pans
  2.  cream together the sugar and butter. 
  3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then 
  4. stir in the vanilla. 
  5. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl
  6. Add in flour mixture alternating with milk
  7. Beat until it resembles a yellow whipped cream
  8. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30-40 mins
  9. To test the cake insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean it is done or see if the cake springs pack into place after you press down on it. 
Resource: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple-White-Cake/Detail.aspx
Photographs courtesy of Steve Eymann

No comments:

Post a Comment